Sunday, May 07, 2006

Moo

Maybe I’m getting old.

Just before Mass, Sister said we needed lectors and Eucharistic ministers.

I volunteered.

No problem.

When it came time for me to read, I noticed a young lady in the front row.

She was chewing gum.

Constantly.

I looked around.

I saw more women chewing. Some were in their 30s or 40s.

Chew. Chew. Chew.

Moo.

Here are still rules about fasting, even if they are relaxed.

And what do they do with the gum at Communion?

Move it over to the side of the mouth?

Swallow?

That sort of thing bugs me.

Like people who talk during Mass.

Not the occasional comment.

Actual conversations.

And then there are the people who leave early.

Why the hurry?

Did God scare you?

Maybe I’m being petty, but He did die for us.

I think we can afford to give Him a little of our time.

With our mouths reserved for prayer and song and ready to receive him.

No comments: